General Fusion invites applications for the position of Principal Software Engineer.
General Fusion, Inc. (GF) is developing a patented, environmentally friendly, energy self-sustaining and economically attractive process to commercialize fusion energy. After over a decade of sub-system development, General Fusion is initiating a large-scale program for the construction of an integrated fusion prototype.
As part of our ongoing technology development, General Fusion generates terabytes of experimental scientific data per year. In order to better leverage this data, General Fusion is developing a custom cloud-based data storage and analysis platform. This platform will enable General Fusion to apply big data analytics across thousands of experiments and to effectively collaborate with external experts.
We are looking for a software professional to collaboratively lead the development and implementation of this advanced, one of a kind data management system. The ideal candidate will need to perform the following tasks and possess the minimum qualifications. This position is located at the General Fusion, Burnaby, British Columbia offices.
The qualified candidate will be the principal developer and architect of General Fusion’s cloud based data storage and analysis platform. They are results focused and have a strong background in software engineering/software development. They will be responsible for all facets of the development lifecycle and will be a leader and promoter of software engineering best practices.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Proactively contribute to a great work environment while championing safe work practices
- 5-10 years professional experience in a software development / software engineering capacity
- Experience maintaining a production code base, including managing test and release cycles, and triaging defects and new functionality
- Demonstrated experience on emerging technology trends and be comfortable pivoting to new platforms or languages
- Extensive experience with revision control systems, processes and best practices
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools and a desire to enhance and automate build, test, and deployment cycles
Experience with any or all of the following technologies would be an asset:
- Containerized applications (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Distributed processes
- Cloud computing
- “Big data” platforms (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Pachyderm)
- Scientific programming (e.g. MATLAB, numpy)
- Experience developing in Go and Python
- Front end browser-based development
The qualified candidate is comfortable working in a small, agile development group. They relish the challenge of working on difficult problems and can effectively collaborate with engineers and scientists in a multidisciplinary environment. They have a proven track record of demonstrating ownership and accountability, and possess strong judgment and decision making skills.
The work involved in this project combines a wide range of skill sets, and each team member will need to become familiar with the full scope of General Fusion’s science and technology program and understand how their work relates to the whole. General Fusion seeks individuals who are self-motivated, have good communication skills and are comfortable with creative problem solving independently and within a group.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org noting “Principle Software Engineer” in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Download a PDF version of this position description here