General Fusion is hiring a Computational Fluid Dynamics Researcher who will develop relevant and accurate CFD models to assist with design and construction of a variety of components related to liquid metal plasma compression systems. The successful candidate will work closely with the engineering and science teams to determine component interactions, governing physics, and desired results. This will involve taking ownership of the modeling results, ensuring that they meet the needs, in both fidelity and confidence, of the engineering team. It is also expected that the candidate will actively reconcile modeling with experiential results and test cases.
General Fusion seeks individuals who are self-motivated, have good communication skills and can stay focused on goals while operating in a fast paced development environment. We welcome individuals who possess the drive required to work on difficult problems, are excited by alternative and innovative solutions and are comfortable with working both independently and within a group.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing CFD models of General Fusion’s compression system in a timely manner
- Expanding models to include magnetohydrodynamic effects on conductive liquids, with free surfaces, due to un-steady magnetic fields
- Post processing modeling results and communicating them to the team in a clear and concise manner
- Soliciting and following up on technical feedback
- Reconciling model outputs with physical results from relevant experimental test beds and using them to improve the fidelity of the models
- Depending on the expertise of the candidate, the opportunity to participate in R&D work such as code development, fundamental research, massively parallel simulations, and advanced post processing
- Strong experience with one or more of the following commercial codes: Fluent, CFX, OpenFOAM
- Strong understanding of CFD principles and the ability to apply them to practical problems
- Strong background in fluid mechanics and heat transfer
- Demonstrated experience doing CFD calculations, preferably in industry
- Experience with Linux/Unix
- Experience running and post processing simulations on medium and large parallel computers would be an asset
- Ability to be an independent CFD resource on a multi-disciplinary team
- A positive attitude and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with scalable cloud computing resources, such as AWS or Azure for HPC applications
- Experience with optimization techniques
- Ph.D. or Masters’ degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering, Engineering Physics, Fluid mechanics, or computational sciences is preferred.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org noting “Job Ref# RR-2020-05” in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.