General Fusion is looking for a talented Controller to join our team. The ideal candidate is an individual who embraces managing the day-to-day department, accounting/audit/tax compliance, processes & systems, and interacting across all functions/groups within the organization.
The Controller will be responsible for all aspects of timely and accurate information in the accounts and related financial reports for all stakeholders. The Controller acts as an interface, maintaining frequent contact with the management team while supervising the daily record keeping and data entry functions, preparing internal and external financial and operating reports, budget analysis, forecasts, variance analysis, internal control process optimization, and analyzing current operations for cost savings/efficiencies.
The Controller will play a key role in the implementation and management of an ERP system.
The Controller will manage government funding claims, ensure a timely month end close, manage all tax compliance, oversee payroll, and provide strong leadership to a small accounting team. The Controller will be responsible for assessing current internal controls and implementing controls commensurate with where risk is identified and stage of the company. The Controller will assist the CFO and Director of Finance in the preparation of materials for financing activities and in planning and analysis.
The successful candidate will have the benefit of working with an existing finance team that is both highly capable as well as collaborative.
- Prepares external financial reports in compliance with IFRS.
- Prepares internal reports, analysis on performance against budget and other forecasts for board and management reporting packages.
- Implementation of a new ERP system, moving from Quickbooks.
- Prepares rolling cash flow projections.
- Coordinates preparation of Canadian, US and UK tax returns, working with tax advisors.
- Manages assembly of information for SRED returns for assembly into T2, and SRED audits.
- Ensures accuracy and timeliness of the financial accounting and tax records and manages daily accounting and tax issues.
- Liaises with the outside ERP consultants and provides overall ERP management for the company, working with IT.
- Works with the team and operational VPs to develop an appropriate cost allocation system that will adapt to the changing environment.
- Stock option accounting and preferred share accounting in compliance with IFRS.
- Develops and manages internal controls to ensure cost effective and accurate financial reporting. Ensures that key financial processes are appropriate for the stage of the company.
- In conjunction with the Director of Finance, and external tax advisors, supports tax planning, leads the implementation of information tracking for tax, and ensures compliance with all applicable tax authorities.
- Prepares year-end financial reports and manages the year end audit.
- Carries out transfer pricing strategy and management of intercompany balances.
- Performs treasury functions for cash management purposes to maximize returns on unutilized cash.
- Supervises payroll and benefits program, along with cross border payroll compliance.
- Assists senior management with development of business models and financial projections.
- Supervises and finalizes the preparation of government funding claims (SIF, SDTC, IRAP). Manages responses to government funding audits and other queries.
- Coordinates information for corporate insurance coverage.
- Trains, develops and manages a team of 2-4 accounting staff.
- Understands the Company’s financial records and how they tie to the business activities
- Ability to support the CFO and Director of Finance in the preparation of materials required for financing activities and to support due diligence.
- Carries out other projects and duties as required.
- A designated accountant (CPA) with a big 4 background and 5+ years working as a Controller. Public company experience either through experience with a firm and/or as a Controller.
- Experienced with ERP systems and implementation in an environment focused on procurement, project management, and multi-country financial reporting.
- Experience as a Controller in a related environment (cleantech, project management, industrial, technology).
- Experience with consolidations in a multi-currency environment.
- Good knowledge of IFRS and preparation of audited financial statements and note disclosure.
- Must have an understanding of cost accounting, payroll, corporate and indirect tax compliance.
- Experience in assessing and implementing effective internal controls.
- Must be able to roll up his/her sleeves and be very hands on.
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams and thrive in a changing, growing environment.
- Proven management skills in developing a high functioning team.
- Good knowledge of corporate and indirect tax in Canada. Ability to research and find tax solutions for Canada, US, UK and other jurisdictions as needed. International tax experience is an asset.
- Experience with SRED, and other government funding programs is an asset.
- Able to work under tight reporting deadlines.
- Able to understand, develop and document internal controls.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Adaptable to a fast-changing and dynamic environment.
- Resourceful, demonstrated strong self-learner and problem solver.
What We Offer:
- Flexible hours
- Four weeks’ vacation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- RRSP Contribution
- Support for professional development
- Great company culture – social events, food trucks, bike rides, Sun Run, etc.
Please send your resume to email@example.com noting “Job Ref# GA-2020-08” in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
General Fusion is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.