General Fusion is pursuing a faster and more practical path to commercial fusion energy. Fusion is a clean, safe, abundant and on-demand form of energy that, when harnessed, could provide a nearly unlimited source of power with zero CO2 emissions. Backed by over $100 million in funding from a world-class investor syndicate, the company’s goal is to transform the world’s energy supply and enable clean energy, everywhere, forever.
General Fusion is looking for a talented IP Analyst to join our team. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the IP Analyst will work closely with our team of Engineers and Scientists to create business value by managing, protecting, and leveraging our IP assets.
• Managing Company’s IP portfolio including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets;
• Providing guidance on IP matters to all levels of operations within the company;
• Executing the Company’s IP strategy, policy and procedures;
• Implementing patent process including: identifying patentable inventions, conducting prior art patent searches, drafting and filing provisional patent applications, assisting in prosecution of patents through issuance, and sourcing and reviewing patent and non-patent literature to determine patentability of technology;
• Liaising and managing external legal counsel in support of the company’s IP issues;
• Preparing annual competitive and patent landscape study;
• Monitoring and assessing implications of competitive IP;
• Filing, prosecuting and managing trademark applications through registrations;
• Preparing validity and infringement opinions;
• Advising on IP implications arising from technical decisions;
• Monitoring Company’s competitors and their activities.
Skills and Experience:
Candidates for this position must have:
• Minimum of three to five years’ of experience with managing Intellectual Property assets, with a focus on patents;
• Excellent written and communication skills;
• Proficient with Microsoft applications including: Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint;
• Familiarity with IP databases such as PatBase, Delphion, etc. is an asset.
The qualified candidate must be comfortable working in a small, agile development group. They relish the challenge of working on difficult problems and can effectively collaborate with engineers and scientists in a multidisciplinary environment. They have a proven track record of demonstrating ownership and accountability, and possess strong judgment and decision making skills.
• B.S. degree in Engineering or Science.
• Registered Patent Agent in Canada or US is an asset.